I'm actually OK with delaying the release (as you pointed out, 4.1
impacted 4.2 in a big way). *I* like flexibility. But it behooves the
community to have a stable set of rules.

It is the cognitive dissonance that bothers me. Theoretically a time-based
release doesn't care about such impacts, but reality is that if someone
has been working on a feature for 4 months and it doesn't make it because
of the cut-off, they are going to feel aggrieved, especially if at some
point in the past the community agreed to make an exception.