Regarding to KVM binaries, in order to make volume snapshot working with
cloudstack, we need KVM hypervisor support following features:
1. disk only snapshot, don't save vm memory(saving vm memory usually takes
several seconds. In RHEL <6.3, it will even take few minutes for a vm with
large memory. It means user vm will be paused for that long time, during
snapshot, which may be not acceptable for many users).
2. be able to backup snapshot from primary storage to secondary storage.

Few years ago, I send two patches to KVM community:
[1]http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg00655.html
[2]http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg01662.html
The [2] is already in KVM upstream, the [1] is not checked in at that time, but
it's supported later on, with the so called "disk-only" snapshot.

In ACS release, we(Citrix QA team) usually test it on RHEL 6, which doesn't
have above functionalities, that's why I say the kvm snapshot is not supported
by default. But if you are using latest kvm distribution, you will get this
feature. Maybe we should support newer version of KVM distribution better, such
as the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 etc?