On 03.01.2014 18:31, Edison Su wrote:
Regarding to KVM binaries, in order to make volume snapshot working
with cloudstack, we need KVM hypervisor support following features:
1. disk only snapshot, don't save vm memory(saving vm memory usually
takes several seconds. In RHEL <6.3, it will even take few minutes for
a vm with large memory. It means user vm will be paused for that long
time, during snapshot, which may be not acceptable for many users).
2. be able to backup snapshot from primary storage to secondary storage.

Few years ago, I send two patches to KVM community:
[1]http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg00655.html
[2]http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg01662.html
The [2] is already in KVM upstream, the [1] is not checked in at that
time, but it's supported later on, with the so called "disk-only"
snapshot.

In ACS release, we(Citrix QA team) usually test it on RHEL 6, which
doesn't have above functionalities, that's why I say the kvm snapshot
is not supported by default. But if you are using latest kvm
distribution, you will get this feature. Maybe we should support newer
version of KVM distribution better, such as the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04
etc?

Edison,

This is a good idea, especially as RHEL7 is coming and it has pretty neat features. Even with EL6 qemu-kvm-rhev that I built[1] most of this stuff is working great https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Virt_Live_Snapshots , even VM snapshots could be supported. I'll probably get back to the list with more questions about how to enable VM snapshots later this week.

[1] - http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/tmp/kvm-rhev/el6/

Nux!
www.nux.ro