On 8/7/14, 1:42 PM, "Sebastien Goasguen" <run...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 7, 2014, at 8:33 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>> David, can you clarify. Are you going to be against any change of git
>>>workflow until we get CI/BVT in place ?
>>>

>> No, please don't take it that way.
>> I understand Leo's point about Cherry-picking being for fruit, and not
>> code. But, I don't think that the workflow changes I've seen proposed
>> affect quality. So shifting for quality's sake doesn't make a lot of
>> sense in my mind. They could be a component of fixing the quality
>> problem.
>>
>> --David
>
>Agreed, the changes don't affect quality but should support a CI infra
>that helps improves quality.
>
>I do think the changes provide
>
>-a stable master that represent released software

You can always look at the latest release branch to get it, as we are
planning to keep them around to support maintenance. From the developer
stand point, I would be more interested in getting the latest stable code,
not the latest stable release.

I don¹t see the use of stable master branch during the release either, as
it reflects already released versions of the CS. And you never cut the
release from the stable master branch; you do cut it from *develop -
that¹s what the git workflow suggests.

>-a clean way to merge features and bug fixes

+1

>-a clean way to create a release that should reduce our time to release

+1 Although I still think that slowness for our release was mostly caused
by the last minute regression bugs caused by missing quality control +
lack of CI. This new way would just take off the load from RM by
eliminating endless cherry-picking.