A git workflow change will not solve the quality problems we have. They
have to be dealt with independently. Just because we are changing the way
we commit the code doesnt mean we wont have any quality issues introduced
by the commits. It just ensures that issues/fixes are properly transferred
to the next releases and we have a better way to understand where all the
issue is fixed/or first seen.

Yes the problems we have on master will shift to develop branch. But the
workflow change is not intended to solve them. It cannot tell us how to
write bug free code/ inform there are bugs.

What is the problem with having stable master branch pointing to latest
release? Any user/developer who wants to try out cloudstack, can just
checkout code and deploy and gets a nice first impression. Without having
to look at what is the latest release whether 4.4 is stable or 4.3.1 or
4.2. In my opinion thats a big advantage.
At this point, we arent sure that if we pass BVT, then we can release the
code. Though that can be the first step( See 4.4 for example.)
When we reach such a point, then we can merge stuff to master as soon as
they pass BVT. But, until then it has to be the released code in my opinion.

Following git-flow doesnt mean we have to follow each and every aspect of
it. Lets start with it and make any amendments as required to fit our way.
As the git-flow says a fix from support branch should reach master through
hotfix doesnt mean we have to follow the same. If you feel they havent
diverged a lot and can be merged, that can be merged. The important thing
being, if the bug is relevant for the next release, it should go to
develop/master.

Also, as leo already said earlier, cherry-picking in itself is not the
devil. The tool exists for a reason and it has to be used when required.
For example when you are backporting a fix from minor release(which has
diverged a lot from master and doesn't make sense to merge)

(The discussion[s] has been so long that I feel like I am repeating my self)

we haven't planned 4.5 yet though the code freeze date is long gone. We
don't have RM for it. We have to release 4.4.1 immediately(It is a hotfix).
This discussion is masking everything else.

As we all agree that we have to solve the cherry-picking issue we have, can
we focus on that please? We can get back to staging/develop branch later.
CI/BVT as and when they are available. step-by-step.

Let us use our current model with minor change that no cherry-picking after
the release branch is created. Lets just work on the release branch
directly.
1. it should only contain bug fixes and any bug going to the branch should
be discussed/notified on the dev list(preferably before you work on it).
2. It should be merged/committed to the release branch only after it passes
BVT(whether you run it locally or let jenkins run it by creating a
hotfix/CS-* branch).

thoughts?

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com

~Rajani