On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Leo Simons <lsim...@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2014, at 11:06 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 19, 2014, at 4:38 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sebastien,

>>> I would love to know your experience of using Github pull requests for the
>>> ACS doc repos, and if it will be a good idea to use it for the main repo as
>>> well?
>>
>> Using github pr for the docs repo has been a breeze. Of course it's a
>> totally different "code" than cloudstack.
>>
>> The way this work is that people is that people fork on github and submit
>> pr, we turned on github pr notifications (you have seen some of the emails).
>> We don't merge via github though, we pull the patch by hand and apply it
>> "git am" then push.
>
> Cool.
>
> Just want to point out that this gives the committer a _bit_ more
> responsibility to verify that there is an actual Contribution (as per the
> apache license and/or CLA) being done. When someone sends a patch via e-mail
> or to an apache.org system that’s pretty clearly implied, but for github, you
> do have to pay a little bit of attention [1].

I don't believe that there is an increase or decrease in the
committer's responsibility. The important part is verifying that the
person has the right to contribute the work, and that they are making
a contribution; and that doesn't really change based on medium.

The act of submitting a Pull Request to a repo in the Foundation's
Github organization is as clear of a contribution as an email to a
foundation mailing list. Thats how both the ticket reads, and how it
works in practice for the ~30 projects making use of the github pull
request workflow at the Foundation.