On Aug 22, 2014, at 6:04 AM, Leo Simons <lsim...@schubergphilis.com> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2014, at 11:06 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 19, 2014, at 4:38 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sebastien,

>>> I would love to know your experience of using Github pull requests for the
>>> ACS doc repos, and if it will be a good idea to use it for the main repo as
>>> well?
>>
>> Using github pr for the docs repo has been a breeze. Of course it's a
>> totally different "code" than cloudstack.
>>
>> The way this work is that people is that people fork on github and submit
>> pr, we turned on github pr notifications (you have seen some of the emails).
>> We don't merge via github though, we pull the patch by hand and apply it
>> "git am" then push.
>
> Cool.
>
> Just want to point out that this gives the committer a _bit_ more
> responsibility to verify that there is an actual Contribution (as per the
> apache license and/or CLA) being done. When someone sends a patch via e-mail
> or to an apache.org system that’s pretty clearly implied, but for github, you
> do have to pay a little bit of attention [1].

as much attention as when taking a patch from RB or an attached patch in JIRA.
I read the issue and I did not see anything alarming about pr.

imho, when we say "we accept pull requests" we are really saying that we are ok
using github as we do RB.

> Also note you can do pull requests without github, see `git request-pull
> --help`. Of course the UI isn’t as pretty, but I’d suggest allowing it just
> to deal with “zomg github is down”, and to be ready to receive any future
> patches from Linus [2] :-)

yes, let's investigate that. Can you try submitting it that way ?

I skimmed [2], and to have the same issue as Linus we would need to define
standards for our commits, which we don't have.
So right now our standard is extremely low. I am all in favor of upping our
standard but remember that Linus is a benevolent dictatorship which
unfortunately we are not :)