Looks like I missed some serious fun during these vacations... time to catch up!

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Virtual Pipeline Components ---------------------------

Love the idea. Even because it was me suggesting something like that a couple of years ago and being blamed of FS... ;-)

 Moving Sitemap components into cocoon.xconf

the default sitemap is too verbose and this scares people away. I would like to move the default sitemap component definitions into the cocoon.xconf.

Correct analysis, but I'm not sure about the solution: I still think that components belong to the sitemap, and I tend to agree with Jay's suggestion to provide a base.xmap with component declarations and a sitemap.xmap with just pipelines.

Pluggable Request Factories ---------------------------

Cocoon needs a simple way to deal with complex HTTP usages, such as binary uploading, XML-RPC, WebDAV or SOAP.

After a lot of discussion with Sylvain and input from many other people, I propose the introduction of a new sitemap element named "map:adaptRequest" that works by adapting the Request object into a more specific object that will parse the request and provide API-level access to the request.

Hmmm... need serious thinking here, a drawing board and some coffee. But here are a couple of eurocents:

1. I don't like the "adaptRequest" name, it's a bit inconsistent with other sitemap semantics: I'd go for "adapt-request" instead;

2. Are you sure that adapting the request is enough? I'd say that the different use cases you're pointing out require a bit more then just the request object: I'd say that the whole environment might need a particular treatment in most cases.

Interception in Flowscript
----------------------------
Adding interception mechanism to the flowscript requires three changes, two in the FOM, one (more important!) in the javascript syntax:

Very interesting, even if, as Christian points out correctly, the AAA sample of yours might be done too using an action. Or even (hacky?) with nested flow calls:

<match pattern="myapp">
   <call function="checklogin"/>
</match>

<match pattern="myapp/protected">
   <call function="main"/>
</match>

<match pattern="myapp/login">
   <call function="login"/>
</match>

with "checklogin" being just a switchboard function redirecting to either "myapp/protected" or "myapp/login".

But interception is way more than this, so I'd just love to have a bit of AOP in Cocoon flow. However, this brings me back to my pet peeve: adding such functionality on Rhino screams for a merge of our patches before even thinking of it. AOP in Javascript... how cool!

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino