Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 20:15 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

Looks like I missed some serious fun during these vacations... time to catch up!

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

 Virtual Pipeline Components
 ---------------------------

Love the idea. Even because it was me suggesting something like that a couple of years ago and being blamed of FS... ;-)

Really? any pointer? (I'm not being sarcastic, but curious... if I judged FS something that I later ended up proposing, there is something wrong in my FS meter ;-)

Sorry, no pointers, just witnesses if they remind the live discussion who took place one day in Bibop.:-) We were still using the compiled sitemap and I was suggesting how components could have been aggregated (G-T* / T* /T*-S) as "macros" to be unrolled by XSLT. You came up with FS bells and problems with parameter resolving, so the discussion was kinda over. I will be more stubborn next time. ;-)

 Pluggable Request Factories
2. Are you sure that adapting the request is enough?

I couldn't come up with anything that required more than that.

I'd say that the different use cases you're pointing out require a bit more then just the request object: I'd say that the whole environment might need a particular treatment in most cases.

Why so, can you elaborate? maybe with a specific example? scenarios help the design.

You might need to have access to the response too. In WebDAV world, as an example, you need to set a whole bunch of headers (Allow:, DAV:, MS-Author-Via - yuck - and more), and a DASL component needs to specify the search vocabularies supported. True, you can do it by hand, but it would be much better if such manipulation could be done by a "request-factory".

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino