Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> So alltogether:
>
> a) Components that are just renamed or replaced with only sitemap
> changes (FileGenerator => XMLGenerator, DirectoryGenerator =>
> TraversableGenerator (or however it is called ;-) ), StreamGenerator =>
> XMLGenerator + ModuleSource) are deprecated in 2.1 and removed in 2.2.
> b) Components that need "real" application changes as processPipelineTo
> or anything similar are also deprecated in 2.1, but will be kept in 2.2.
> c) Deprecation messages:
> Strict deprecation for a) components. 80% are catched by "file" => "xml"
> and "file" is the default generator and "xml" will be it.
> Loose deprecation with a warning on every usage (otherwise they are to
> easily lost in the logs) for b) components. If we also use strict
> deprecation here, we don't really need b).

Some general notes:

I think whatever we do in this area, we should make a vote for each change.

And we should only move things into the deprecated part if there is a
usable alternative. IMHO, using flow instead of a transformer isn't really
an alternative as the overhead is way to much (just my opinion here).

And we should avoid the renaming trap - which means renaming things just
because a "not so perfect" name has been chosen in the first place. IMHO
there is no real use in this.

Carsten