Ugo Cei wrote:

Il giorno 09/lug/04, alle 23:56, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

The bean definition file defines all services of system like cocoon.xconf, but also the wiring, which is handled internally by lookups with Avalon. This has several consequences:
- people writing this file must have an in-depth knowledge of implementation classes used (not only abstract service interfaces) and the wiring they need. This is a difficult task.

Good point.

- the full wiring may lead to huge files in large systems (i.e. Cocoon). So the question is: does it scale?

Bean factories can be divided among multiple files and hierarchically organized.

Ok. So this means we may have a layered system, the root defining Cocoon's infrastructure components (processor, pipelines, cache, etc...)

- can the framework ensure that no wiring is missing? Is there another way than having a NPE at runtime?

Not that I know of.

I have the feeling Spring can be used for small sets of components, but can it be used for the full assembly of large systems like Cocoon?

This is a good question and one whose answer I want to find. I think up to now Spring has been used as a container that mostly wires together components of an application, not components of a higher-level framework like Cocoon. On the other hand, I don't want to sound too apologetic, but Spring is just at version 1.0.2 and is pretty young but growing fast. I have hope that some shortcomings will be addressed in future versions.

Sure, and if we consider Spring as an interesting base, we can join the party with all our Cocoon needs and Avalon experience which is perhaps less sexy but can handle our large use cases.

Something we need badly also is an equivalent to selectors. This can actually be replaced by plain a old java.util.Map gathering a number of beans.

I just subscribed to spring-dev, and browsing the archives found a post with this simple link:
http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/features/resin-3.0.8.xtp#Dependency-Injection/Inversion-of-Control

LOL ;-)

Sylvain