> If one does not view a veto as valid then one has to challenge it.  To
> do otherwise would not be taking your position as a committer
> seriously.
His veto was challenged.  A reason was stated.  Now if the reason for
the veto was "the moon is not in alignment with the stars" it would be
reasonable to state that the reason isn't valid.  But the reason given
was nothing of the kind.  That doesn't mean you can't try to convince
him to change his mind using the two paragraphs that followed.  But the
implication of the statement is that you don't recognize his -1 as being
valid, when in fact it is.  You simply don't agree with it.

I think you are simplifying this situation a bit...

Let's say I am working for company "A". Company "A" has a policy to only
use reaaaaally stable and proven software. "Don't change if you don't
have to". Basically they are still using JDK 1.3. I am a PMC member of
an OS project the company is using. Now is the non-upgrade policy of
that company "A" a valid reason for the individual PMC member to veto
the upgrade of the JDK requirement for the OS project?

...now I am curious

cheers
--
Torsten