I'm still trying to migrate my project from deployer to rcl plugin with no
success (and now not even
 the old one works) :-(

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>> BTW: Can we have a released deployer plugin as well.
>>
>> I think that Cocoon should only have one Maven plugin with as many
>> goals as needed.
>
> I've done the work (sorry Andrew that I committed at the wrong moment)
> today. I  successfully run mvn clean install -P allblocks with an empty
> repository this evening.
>
> If you want to use the plugin or want to upgrade, add it to your pom.xml
>
>        <plugin>
>          <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
> -        <artifactId>cocoon-rcl-plugin</artifactId>
> +        <artifactId>cocoon-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>          <version>1.0.0-M1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>        </plugin>
>
> In order to invoke it, use
>
> cocoon:rcl     (was cocoon-rcl:webapp)
> cocoon:deploy  (cocoon:deploy)
>
> As time permits here at the ApacheCon, I will work on the documentation
> of both goals and their properties.
>
> In short, the first one creates a minimal web application that enables
> you to run a block. As the name says it supports automatic reloads
> whenever a resources changes. This feature also includes .java files.

I got a couple of NPE when starting a block with jetty:run:

2007-05-02 10:49:35 [WARN ] btpool0-3
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory -
FactoryBean threw exception
from getObjectType, despite the contract saying that it should return null if
the type of its object
cannot be determined yet
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servletservice.spring.ServletFactoryBean.getObjectType(ServletFactoryBean.java:207)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.getTypeForFactoryBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:561)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.isTypeMatch(AbstractBeanFactory.java:429)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.getBeanNamesForType(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:175)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.getBeanNamesForType(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:155)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.spring.configurator.impl.BeanMap.getBeanNames(BeanMap.java:124)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.spring.configurator.impl.BeanMap.checkInit(BeanMap.java:100)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.spring.configurator.impl.BeanMap.size(BeanMap.java:237)
        at
org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertToTypedMap(TypeConverterDelegate.java:363)
        at
org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:206)
        at
org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:139)
        at
org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.setPropertyValue(BeanWrapperImpl.java:771)
        at
org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.setPropertyValue(BeanWrapperImpl.java:604)
        at
org.springframework.beans.AbstractPropertyAccessor.setPropertyValue(AbstractPropertyAccessor.java:49)
        at
org.springframework.beans.AbstractPropertyAccessor.setPropertyValues(AbstractPropertyAccessor.java:74)
        at
org.springframework.beans.AbstractPropertyAccessor.setPropertyValues(AbstractPropertyAccessor.java:57)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractBeanFactory.java:852)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1054)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:843)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:427)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:254)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:144)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:251)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:163)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:271)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:128)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1047)
[...]
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:284)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:352)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:241)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:184)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.tools.rcl.springreloader.SpringReloader.reload(SpringReloader.java:57)

I cannot determine whether this is normal or not.

Patches are not applied with the cocoon:rcl and cocoon:deploy requires you
project being of
packaging war but sometimes patches are needed as part of a deployment process
of a webapp (i.e.
ACEGI filters).

> The second one allows "patching" the web.xml by adding snippets from
> META-INF/cocoon/xpatch to it. It also supports a feature that reverses
> the classloader hierarchy in a web application by using a shielding
> classloader.

But can only be used if packaging of the project is war!

Ciao and thanks
- --
Giacomo Pati