On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 12:49 +0100, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> > The second "big thing" for deprecation that we discussed in Rome was
> > the cocoon:/ protocol and the the servlet:/ protocol instead. AFAIU the
> > servlet:/ protocol doesn't provide all the "features" of the cocoon:/
> > protocol but that's mostly caused by getting rid of side-effects.
>
> Yep. One of design goals of servlet: protocol was to share as less of
> environment as possible while
> cocoon: protocol shares and mixes as much as possible. I firmly believe in
> first approach that makes
> everything isolated thus simple and reliable.
>
> We already have introduced quite advanced concepts like true OO in servlet
> service framework so we
> should be very careful on not creating another "magic" box that nobody knows
> and everyone is scared
> to fix or change.
>
> There is a random thought: if we stick to the idea that environment is not
> shared between caller and
> called service we get clustering for free. I think you could easily imagine
> several blocks sharing
> services deployed to several separate machines. Then servlet services could
> be used remotely.
> Thanks to the fact that we use only standard HTTP you could even deploy one
> block to several
> machines and use standard load balancer for balancing load of all machines
> serving some servlet
> services...
>
> WDYT?

Hmm, I must admit I am still catching up with the discussion around the
cocoon:// protocol, but must admit that it is quite essential in e.g.
forrest.

We are making lots of use of pass-trough mounts and invocation of the
project specific sitemaps from the forrest core via cocoon:// calls.

Now with the servlet: protocol (as I understand it) you need to know
before hand the name of the servlet you want to consult. This is not
practical in forrest where a project can be called as it want. Meaning
if cocoon:// is gone and no other protocol will offer the functionality
then forrest has a problem.

salu2