--- On Thu, 4/30/09, Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New Sandbox Component Proposal: Commons JSON
> To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
> Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 9:55 AM
> > Why do you consider a dependency
> on Antlr a negative (the runtime is 148k), JSON is a
> formally defined language after all.
>
> I don't know a person face to face who actually can handle
> antlr. Its
> a cool tool, but if you need to create a patch for your
> json lib, it
> can be hell. Plain java is understood by every java
> developer (well,
> most ;-)).

I don't know about folks you (or I) know face-to-face, but I know that several
ASF committers and members have popped up around the ANTLR lists over the
years, including, off the top of my head, myself, Torsten, O.Ziegermann, H.L.
Ship, and probably others.  I personally am quite comfortable with ANTLR 2.x
but need to really take the time to play with ANTLR 3.  The argument _for_
using parser generators is that those who use them feel the grammar is easier
to digest (it's smaller) than the equivalent Java code.  It's something else
again to debug ANTLR parsers/treeparsers, but it's far from impossible.  Once
you get used to knowing what to look for it's actually fairly easy.  I don't
say any of this to disparage Yonik's work on Noggit (I've not looked at it); I
am just airing my understanding of the motivations for using grammars and
parser generators as opposed to hand-writing parsers.

-Matt