Matt,

> I don't know about folks you (or I) know face-to-face, but I know that
> several ASF committers and members have popped up around the ANTLR lists over
> the years, including, off the top of my head, myself, Torsten, O.Ziegermann,
> H.L. Ship, and probably others.  I personally am quite comfortable with ANTLR
> 2.x but need to really take the time to play with ANTLR 3.  The argument
> _for_ using parser generators is that those who use them feel the grammar is
> easier to digest (it's smaller) than the equivalent Java code.  It's
> something else again to debug ANTLR parsers/treeparsers, but it's far from
> impossible.  Once you get used to knowing what to look for it's actually
> fairly easy.  I don't say any of this to disparage Yonik's work on Noggit
> (I've not looked at it); I am just airing my understanding of the motivations
> for using grammars and parser generators as opposed to hand-writing parsers.

what you (and Torsten, he PMed me) are saying will surely make digg me
more into antlr. At the moment I always felt that such a simple format
like json doesn't need  such a tool like antlr, but maybe I am wrong
and should rethink. However, Yoniks parser is very fast - antlr
parsers should have same performance and should be memory efficient
too.
This can be checked, of course, and I will do that (when having some
spare time left :-)).

Thanks!

Christian