I think netlib-java might actually be using the CLAPACK version of LAPACK...
the biggest problem with C/Fortran is the array indexing is different for
double[][]. CLAPACK addresses this.

LAPACK is still heavily used in reference implementations of standard
algorithms, although admittedly not as *core* as BLAS. The ARPACK API is
also worthwhile considering for inclusion (it's part of netlib-java and
f2j's translations).