On Aug 19, 2009, at 7:18 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

Currently the minimum Java version for VFS 2.0 is 1.4. VFS 2.0 has not been released and the developers are considering making the minimum version JDK 5. We are interested in getting feedback from the community however before this change is made. So please respond with your thoughts on this.

Ralph

To answer my own question, Commons Configuration 1.7-SNAPSHOT is using Commons VFS 2.0-SNAPSHOT as an optional dependency. Configuration has a minimum JDK of 1.3. Although it is an optional runtime dependency, some of the public classes are needed at compile time. This has not been a problem so far and would be OK provided this continued to work after the change. I don't believe it would be a problem to add the requirement for JDK 5 to the use of this feature in Commons Configuration.

Ralph