> Well, if you're going to make a jump, why go to something that's EOSL very
> soon?

For me, JDK 1.6 would be fine too.
But, I'd say this is just a minor issue as the main things one will notice
(generics, enhanced for syntax) are there with JDK 1.5.
Are there any API changes critical for VFS to use? I don't think so.

The next big jump VFS might see will be JDK 1.7 as then they come with a
pluggable file provider [1] thingy too. We will see, how VFS fits there.
In fact, I think VFS3 will provide just filesystem providers for JDK 1.7 -
don't know if they can deal with layered filesystems though.

Ciao,
Mario

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/nio/javadoc/java/nio/file/FileSystem.html