On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 September 2011 20:16, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is a red herring.  No web server I know of restarts Java processes
> like
> > this.  The JVM is kept hot and classes are not unloaded lightly.
>
> True, but the server does not normally load all the classes in all its
> libraries, surely?

No.  But it is easy to code up some warmup in the startup part of the life
cycle.  That should be a penalty paid once when the server starts, not later
on the first request.  In the worst case, you can build a simple startup
script that starts the server and then hits a few URL's to get the classes
loaded.  You can also do soft start with your load balancer.

Seriously.  This is a total red herring.

> A one minute startup due purely to this one library would be an issue.  I
> > haven't heard that definitively demonstrated here at all.  A
> micro-benchmark
> > would be useful.
>
> IIRC my tests showed something like 50ms for loading the FastMath
> class with the previous version.

Yeah... there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy here that a bit of data
would help with.