2012/10/16 Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Stephen Colebourne
> <scolebou...@joda.org>wrote:
>
>> On 16 October 2012 17:44, Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would categorise first in two
>> - mutable builders producing immutable objects
>> - immutable objects
>>
>> The former should generally have short methods without prefixes, the
>> latter is more complex.
>>
>> For the latter, as a general rule, I use
>> withXxx()/plusXxx()/minusXxx() for items that affect the state and
>> past participle for other methods that manipulate the object in other
>> ways:
>>
>> // affects state (year/month/day)
>>  date = date.withYear(2012)
>>  date = date.plusYears(6)
>> // aftect multiple pieces of state, so past participle
>>  period = period.multipliedBy(6)
>>  period = period.negated()
>>
>> This is simply an extension of when you might use setXxx() on a bean,
>> and when you might use a named method.
>>

> I like the idea of two classes: CVSFormat and CVSFormatBuilder but...
>
> My next question is: Does CVSFormat have any public constructors? If not,
> the builder can throw exceptions when one of its methods is called and
> validation fails. This is nice in the sense that the format object feels
> more lightweight and has a simpler/shorter protocol. It also leaves room
> for other builders to be added (to configured formats from config files for
> example) without growing the format class itself.
>
> If CVSFormat does have public constructors, then the format class still has
> to do its own validation. What I gain is the choice of using a kitchen sink
> constructor or the fluent builder API, I can choose my style.
>
> If there are two classes, and I cannot build a format without a format
> builder, then why not collapse the two classes into one?

Hi Gary,

I agree. I'd favor to have no public constructors and a builder that
is an internal class of CSVFormat. Users create CSVFormatBuilders by
calling a static method on CSVFormat:

CSVFormat format =
CSVFormat.defaults().withDelimiter('#').withCommentStart('/').build();

Where defaults() returns a builder that is initialized with (suprise)
the values of the default format. No need to call a validate method.

Benedikt