On 17 Oct 2013, at 18:03, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 10/17/13 5:52 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>>> There are XML subcomponents there.
>>>
>>> Jakarta ones went dormant iirc, but then moved over as
>>> subcomponents and
>>> not the overall umbrella. So I don't think there's a reason why a
>>> Commons
>>> component wouldn't fit.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> The attic is not only for TLPs.
>> I don't find the mail reference right now. But I was asked to put
>> log4cxx to the attic (sub component of Apache Logging).
>
> I think the "dormant" classification in Commons, should we decide to
> keep it (and I agree we should either agree to keep it and get it
> defined and updated or dump it) does not have to be the same as
> "retirement to the Attic."  I proposed above that we this just be a
> designation based on lack of current "committed committers" and
> things could go in and out of dormancy without any svn (or Git or
> whatever) moves, trips through the incubator or other heavyweight
> process.

The attic says projects without active committers should move.
http://attic.apache.org/

I don't see any reason for a heavyweight process to get a component back.
The attic says "recreation of a PMC for a project" is enough. I understand
it like we can simply tell them we are working on it again.

> Gary and others have pointed out that you might be able to
> accomplish the same thing by just keeping team lists up to date,
> prominently displaying last release date, etc. on the web site.

Sure, we can do that.
Still i see no advantage of keeping the "dormant" state.

Hopefully we are a little quicker to put a component to sleep in future
because a lot of unmaintained components advertised as maintained
let us look bad.

Cheers

> Could be that is the best solution and we just dump the "dormant"
> concept altogether.  Whatever we decide to do, I agree with Hen that
> getting a clear picture of what people are now or working on /
> intent RSN to work on is good info to have in deciding among the
> alternatives.

> Phil
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.grobmeier.de