On 04/12/2017 02:56 PM, Gilles wrote:

> Yes; and it is good per se, of course.  Unforunately, it didn't change
> the Commons Math issue: it's still unmaintained, and from what I observe
> on JIRA, it's not going to improve with time (I said that much one year
> ago and I was right, in hindsight).

Ok, then let's move commons-math to dormant and redirect the users to
Hipparchus.

> Last time I acted (to request a "git" repository from INFRA), you (IIRC,
> pardon me if I'm wrong) complained ;-) that it had not been agreed upon...

Wasn't this because you wanted to create a new component before
considering other options like creating a submodule of an existing
component?

> Moreover, the lack of interest shown by the PMC
> is a worrying indication that any further work can be doomed to not get the
> minimal support for an official release, even if there would be no
> "technical reason"[4] to prevent such release.

I wouldn't worry about that, even if few members are actively
contributing to the code there are enough people ready to review and
vote on the releases.

> [1] It's the right size and scope: I now agree with the PMC members who
>     did not see it useful to have its current modules as separate
>     components.

Good, and it could be the same with CM for the parts that may not fit
well in a separate component.

> [5] As usual, sorry for the long email, but trying to keep messages
>     short does not seem to help either in conveying correctly what I
>     perceive as a need for PMC action...

Thanks!

Emmanuel Bourg