On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:56:23 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
On 04/12/2017 02:56 PM, Gilles wrote:

Yes; and it is good per se, of course. Unforunately, it didn't change the Commons Math issue: it's still unmaintained, and from what I observe on JIRA, it's not going to improve with time (I said that much one year
ago and I was right, in hindsight).

Ok, then let's move commons-math to dormant and redirect the users to
Hipparchus.

Emmanuel,

Do you actually prefer advertizing a non-Apache project rather than
having the PMC support its own developers in any which way it could?

I sure hope that I'm not the only one here who would not like it.

Last time I acted (to request a "git" repository from INFRA), you (IIRC, pardon me if I'm wrong) complained ;-) that it had not been agreed upon...

Wasn't this because you wanted to create a new component before
considering other options like creating a submodule of an existing
component?

Modularization is the solution to a different problem.

In this case, it would not make CM more supported (since the PMC
would not be agree to exclude part of the code from the release).

Moreover, the lack of interest shown by the PMC
is a worrying indication that any further work can be doomed to not get the
minimal support for an official release, even if there would be no
"technical reason"[4] to prevent such release.

I wouldn't worry about that, even if few members are actively
contributing to the code there are enough people ready to review and
vote on the releases.

How can you be so sure? The last releases did not elicit an awful lot
of votes; and that is for components that do not raise objections about
their mere existence.

[1] It's the right size and scope: I now agree with the PMC members who
    did not see it useful to have its current modules as separate
    components.

Good, and it could be the same with CM for the parts that may not fit
well in a separate component.

It's not the same (cf. above).

"Commons RNG" made several modules of related stuff ("focused" scope)
out of a subset of 2 CM packages (initially).

CM is not focused; it's a mixed bag of different
 * subject domains,
 * designs,
 * performances.

It suffers from the same problems which "Lang" started to see (and
that led to the creation of "Commons Text") just a lot worse, because
it is bigger.

Gilles

[5] As usual, sorry for the long email, but trying to keep messages
    short does not seem to help either in conveying correctly what I
    perceive as a need for PMC action...

Thanks!

Emmanuel Bourg