On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:04:00 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
On Apr 12, 2017 12:41 PM, "Oliver Heger" <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
wrote:

Am 12.04.2017 um 19:39 schrieb Gilles:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 18:25:03 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
On 04/12/2017 05:29 PM, Gilles wrote:

Do you actually prefer advertizing a non-Apache project rather than having the PMC support its own developers in any which way it could?

If nobody is able to maintain commons-math I have no objection
recommending an alternative, especially one that is derived from
commons-math, has the same license and an open development process.

The issue here is that an "in-house" solution has been proposed,
based on time-consuming work on the part of developers still
contributing here.
The PMC members should logically (?) favour any proper endeavour
that attempts to keep _this_ community alive.

For functionality that requires expertise not existing anymore around
here, it would be fine though, of course.
Thus I ask that we make a list of such functionality before dismissing
the local goodwill as if it didn't exist.

The minimal support you can expect from the PMC members is people voting
on the releases, and if there is no show stopper like binary
incompatibilities, awful regressions or improperly licensed code, the
vote will be a non-issue.

How can you be so sure? The last releases did not elicit an awful lot of votes; and that is for components that do not raise objections about
their mere existence.

Give it a try?

OK for small, focused, components?

I am fine with Commons RNG and Commons Numbers.

I would feel uneasy with a significant number of mathematical components extracted from [math] that are added to Commons, even if they are small
and focused. It would seem strange if you opened the Commons Web site
and about half of the components were math-related. If this is the goal,
I would prefer to start again the top-level-project discussion.

I think I agree with that. When you look at CM, it is big, and I do not
have a problem with that. A TLP might make the most sense.

?

[You do remember that the PMC did not want to let go of the code
when James Carman asked for the creation of a TLP?]

Gilles

Gary

Oliver

Gilles