On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 13:15:33 +0200, Jan Matèrne wrote:
Using RandomStringGenerator from RandomStringUtils sounds good, but
implies adding
a dependency to commons-lang (commons-text).

I haven't understood it that way; IIRC it was suggested that
"Commons Text" would additionally provide the same easy-to-use
API (alias "RandomStringUtils") as is currently in "Commons
Lang".
When available, "RandomStringUtils" will be deleted from the
latter, and users will have to modify their "import" statement.

At the moment the only dependencies are for testing [1].

I am more of a -0 about adding the dependency, because this implies
that all projects using commons-lang have to deliver commons-text too.
Optional dependencies seem to be a solution, but [2] shows that these
dependencies should be avoided if possible.

Jan

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/blob/master/pom.xml
[2]

https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-optional-and-excludes-dependencies.html