> [...]
>> 0x1001111000110111011110011011100101111111010010100111110000010011 = 29
>>
>> Transitions:
>>
>> 1181783497276652981 = 35
>> -7046029254386353131 = 31
>> -7046029254386353133 = 29
>>
>> Note: -7046029254386353131 is the 0x9e3779b97f4a7c15L factor used in the
>> SplitMix64 algorithm. This is a variant of the new Phi factor for the
>> XorShift1024StarPhi algorithm and it has more transitions.
>>

>> Anyway the new code for the XorShift1024StarPhi algorithm is a variant
>> of the original. The question is should we update the original or add
>> the alternative?
>>
>> Modifying "XOR_SHIFT_1024_S" would breach the contract: the
>> source will return a different sequence.  This should be done only
>> in a major version.
>>
>> We should certainly add the newer/better version (under a different
>> "enum").
>>
>> My question was indeed whether we should deprecate the
>> "XOR_SHIFT_1024_S" generator.
>> Not because it is not good enough (judging from its score on
>> the stress tests[1], it is still one of the best even if the new
>> "XOR_SHIFT_1024_STAR_PHI" is supposedly better).
>> The issue is whether we want "RandomSource" to only provide
>> independent generators (so that e.g. that can be safely used in a
>> multi-threaded application -- i.e. using a different implementation
>> in each thread is sufficient to ensure uncorrelated output[2]).
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>> If so, one way would be to make the experiment of creating a
>> composite RNG (with the current and new variants) and pass it
>> through the test suites.
>>
>> I don't think there is anything to composite. The code is exactly the same
>> except for a final multiplier:
>>
>> XorShift1024Star.java L109
>>
>> The method for producing the internal state is the same. So a composite of
>> internal states (ala TwoCmres) is not possible.
>

> What I mean by "composite" is a new RNG class (code untested):
>
> public class Composite implements RandomLongSource {
>    private final UniformRandomProvider rng[] = new UniformRandomProvider[2];
>    private int flip = 0;
>
>    public Composite(long[] seed) {
>        rng[0] = new XorShiftStar1024Star(seed);
>        rng[1] = new XorShiftStar1024StarPhi(seed);
>    }
>
>    public long nextLong() {
>        return rng[flip++ % 2].nextLong();
>    }
> }
>

>> So your concern is that a user may use a XOR_SHIFT_1024_S and
>> XOR_SHIFT_1024_S_PHI with possibly the same seed in different threads and
>> experience correlated sequences producing biased results?
>
> Yes.
>
>> This possibility should be documented if it exists. But how to test that?
>
> By submitting the "Composite" to BigCrush.
>

>> Do you mean a bitwise xor of the output from each generator, then passed
>> through the test suites?
>
> No just using the output of each alternatively (cf. above).

OK. I’ll do that next.

I’ve just checked how the xor composite is progressing. It is not happy. 82
PASSED and 766 FAILED from 8 incomplete runs. It seems to be stuck in an
infinite loop in the rgb_kstest_test. The whole suite usually takes 100 minutes
and they have all been running just that test for 5 hours. Reading the summary
info (dieharder -d 204 -h)I cannot tell what is it about this test that has
stalled.

I’ll let it go until the morning and then kill it. I think this xor composite
generator is bad. I’ll check if it even works for two unrelated generators.

I think the serial composite (chained together output) should be an IntProvider
instead given that the test suites use nextInt()? If you use a LongProvider
then you will get 2 ints from one then 2 from the other.

Note that % 2 will break if it overflows to negative. This works with
negatives: [flip++ & 0x1]. I read somewhere that BigCrush consumes about 2^32
ints so it would be far into the test before you found that one.