On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 14:07, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le jeu. 5 août 2021 à 14:08, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > I agree with Matt.
>
> Nobody seems to disagree (about not providing convenience *binaries*
> of the examples).
> My point was that the examples _must_ be part of the (source) release
> (with the caveat that they are not subject to BC), in the same way that
> unit tests are, because they could sometimes exercise the code in a way
> which the unit tests do not.
> Maybe I misunderstood Matt's proposal, which I thought was was to not
> release the examples (i.e. leaving them out of the release branch).

If the release profile in the POM omits the examples modules then they will
not be released as binary jars to nexus, and the modules are omitted from
the site generation. The contents of the distribution release binary (zip,
tar.gz) are specified separately. So these can include all the source text
files from the examples.

However if the examples modules are not in the POM hierarchy then the
binaries will not be built from the source as part of the release process.
It is possible to include the modules and skip the site generation for the
maven-site-plugin. I am not sure about skipping the maven-release-plugin.
It may be possible using the dryRun parameter but I would have to
investigate.

If the build of the examples cannot be set-up to be verified during the
release process then this should be verified by the RM and any reviewers of
the release to ensure the examples do build from the source distribution.

In the case of RNG this could involve adding a step to the release guide to
state that applications in all the example modules should be run to ensure
they compile with the API from the released code. The same can be added to
guidelines in the VOTE e-mail.

Would this cover your requirement that the examples code is exercised?

Alex