On 21/07/2010 19:33, Shane Curcuru wrote:
I was just wondering...

The Labs project (a place where any committer can starup their own
independent mini-"project" to work on, potentially with other
committers) has been awfully quiet lately.

I was wondering: is doing an article or FAQ or some sort of mentor
outreach within ComDev a good way to increase the sense of community
within Labs?

Labs was specifically created as an infrastructure for collaboration. There was never any intention for there to be community:

"The aim is to provide the necessary resource to promote and maintain the innovative power within the Apache community without the burden of community building." [1]

Is this something comdev might have ideas about (by publicising to
committers or getting mentors to talk it up, or whatever)? Or am I just
having some wishful thinking?

I appreciate that community around labs and community around projects in labs is potentially two different things. However, I don't see it as the role of ComDev to define what community in labs means. I do have opinions on the validity of a "labs community" and would be happy to share those with the labs PMC if they care, this mail is written only with my ComDev hat on.

With respect to the mentor programme I would be -1 on labs projects being engaged in any way. Similarly I would discourage mentors from pointing to labs as an example of community development (although as volunteers I won't stop them from doing so). This should not reflect on labs (which is a valuable project in the ASF) but rather it reflects the goal of the mentoring programme. The goal is to teach people about community development processes used in TLPs. Since the labs projects explicitly ignore that kind of activity I don't see that there is any overlap.

Speaking personally, I see labs as outside the current scope of ComDev work. Of course, if the labs PMC want to use the ComDev vehicle, or if someone in ComDev wants to work with the labs PMC, to do some outreach that's a different case.

Ross

[1] http://labs.apache.org/