Sent from my tablet
On Sep 27, 2012 9:51 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Luciano's account identifies a clean, bright line between Apache Extras
and any Apache project.

> One point of clarification, however, since I see this statement
repeatedly.

>     It is clear that an Apache Extras project should not *deliver*
packages or
>     components on any org.apache.xxx... class path.
>
>     *Using* packages and definitions on such class paths is a different
story.
>     Those are usable under provisions of the ALv2 license.
>
> I see no useful purpose in prohibition external code declaring entities
having types defined on an org.apache.xxx class path.   Obvious cases are
the provision of interfaces, declaration of subordinate classes, and
declaration of instances of classes all defined for public use in
org.apache.xxx... packages.

It's a trademark issue. Since we don't want to actively police extras
managing trademark usage there would be too onerous.

> I think any prohibition on *use* must be in the reverse direction.  The
Apache project source code cannot have such dependencies on entities
defined in an org.apache-extras.xxx... package.

Why? Perhaps you are assuming that all code at extras is incompatibly
licensed, that is not the case, or perhaps you have some other reason in
mind.

Ross

>  - Dennis

Extra in specific