I refer back to my original response.

apache-extras is not intended to be a way to route around legal and
community policies here at the ASF. I believe that what you propose
does just that regardless of the license choice and distribution
mechanism. You propose using ASF infrastructure for everything except
version control. From the point of view of a user of the extras code
everything points to @apache.org and therefore ownership and
responsibility is confused.

The argument about being "kept informed" is not valid either. The
extras project is a separate project. Would you go to some
pre-existing FooBar project and say "hey we are using your code we
want you to move everything to ASF hardware except version control".
If you did would that project say yes?

Having said that, you asked specifically about ASF policy in this
matter. Today there is no formal policy on this specific issue, only
the opinion of this PMC, Those members of this PMC who have spoken
seem to have all agreed on the community aspects I mention above. Most
discussion here is around the optional GPL dependency which is not the
question being asked.

My conclusion, therefore, is that our "policy" is that this is not an
acceptable use of extras because it routes appears to route around
both legal and community policies (no non-ASF code managed by ASF PMCs
and only ASF projects on apache.org infrastructure). As the ComDev PMC
we cannot assert the legal position but we can assert the community
one. If you feel our interpretation of the legal one is flawed and
legal-discuss@ agree then I guess we should reconsider. As things
stand I believe the consensus is no this is not inline with policy.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)