On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org> wrote:

> > So FWIW, I never thought about using github pages for our website.
> > I just tried it.
> >
> > Created an orphaned gh-pages in our repo, pushed that. It got mirrored
> > right away and now we have:
> > http://apache.github.io/cloudstack/
> >
> > Based off of:
> > https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/tree/gh-pages

Neat! That's exactly the kind of test I was going to try. The next thing to
try would be to see if we could get http://cloudstack.apache.org to point
to http://apache.github.io/cloudstack ; that's the part that's somewhat
questionable for me.

Perhaps we could also do something like: make a project called "
apache.github.io" and mirror it to http://github.com/apache/apache.github.io
and create a CNAME from projects.apache.org to point to apache.github.io.
Then we could maintain the projects site inside git also. Another CNAME
would work just as well (maybe code.apache.org).

> > Loving it,
> >

> Usually you have to activate github pages in the repository configuration.
> Are github pages activated by default for ASF mirrors or did you request
> that from infra?

gh-pages are enabled by default in GitHub these days. I don't even know if
they can be disabled (except by not having a branch with that name).

Regarding some of the other comments about jekyll... it's not true that you
need jekyll. You can publish plain HTML or Markdown also.

The other consideration somebody pointed out to me is the question of
"staging". CMS does that well today. But, that seems pretty easy, too,
because you can view the rendering in your personal fork before pushing to
the Apache repo's gh-pages branch to be mirrored and rendered.