Le dimanche 8 mars 2015 11:28:22 Daniel Gruno a écrit :
> > - "Whereas the old pages were basic, the new ones have kind of an unusual
> > dark theme to them and look unpolished (vs. just plain as the old one)"
> > (copy/paste of another feedback that perfectly summarised a feeling I
> > could not express better)
>
> Heh, not really a technical argument ;-) But if people feel it's too
> dark, they are more than welcome to submit a patch for something lighter :)
yes, I'll try :)

> > - can we have a link to source? how can we submit patches? how can we test
> > for ourselves improvement ideas before submitting patches? This is really
> > a good start, but IMHO, if we don't have community involved in updates,
> > this new site will loose a great opportunity to have contributors (unless
> > it is a choice to avoid contributors)
>
> It's under the comdev banner, and as such, is available at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/
great, I'll have a look

> > - why doesn't this use the CMS for some classical pages? Should not some
> > parts of the old site be added to the new graphic content? While graphics
> > and generated content are great, I think that some handwritten content
> > would be useful (to explain where data come from, for example, or what
> > happened to DOAP, or how to contribute...)
>
> All excellent points. If you check out the source, you can see that all
> doap files have been converted to JSON instead.
you mean that projects should not update DOAP files any more but these json
files? I really missed the info (and this means we should perhaps move maven-
doap-plugin to the Attic...)

> As for CMS, I don't see any reason to use the CMS compared to just
> editing it in svn - it's 4-5 pages, each around 10 lines of html, not a
> 500+ page behemoth.
CMS has staging, no?
And perhaps the site is tiny because there is no easy editing: chicken and
egg. IMHO, this new site has great graphics, but it really requires more than
graphics. And the CMS could be part of the solution to do that.

> > - the idea of online editing is great, but not knowing what happens behind
> > the scene, I fear to add sub-projects: what sub-projects should be added?
> > can sub- projects be removed if the addition gives unexpected result?
>
> A delete feature would make sense, yes. As for what can be added, that's
> really up to the project, just as it was with the doap files. If you
> feel something in your project is a sub project in itself, you can add it.
IIUC, the online editing just updates
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/site/json/projects/
?
Then editing these files is the way to track changes, or do what the online
editing doesn't have any feature to do?

> > - what should we do with DOAP? Did I miss some explanations on private@ or
> > dev@ ML from a project I'm working on?
>
> DOAP will be replaced by the online editing. We haven't contacted
> projects about this yet, but on the other hand, I don't think we'd just
> change the DNS without letting folks know what we were doing. It's only
> been in testing so far. Once it was on the path to becoming something
> more official, surely projects would be included more.
what is great with DOAP is that there is a schema: is there something
equivalent with json?

> But it also requires people other than me to chip in - I only have so
> many hands and feet :)
now that we know where the source code is, I hope people will involve.
How do we send patches? To you in person?

Regards,

Hervé