On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Benson Margulies
<bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Coming in late.
>>
>> A snapshot is not a release. Licenses "kick in" at distribution/
>> release.
>
> Are you sure? When you have a public source control repo, with a
> LICENSE file at the top, I would think that this counts as a legal
> 'publication' under the terms of the license.
>
> if not, just what is the legal status of source code snipped from our
> repositories?

I was thinking a similar thing. If a user encounters software, in any
state (released, or whatever), in a repo with a LICENSE attached, it
seems to me that they have every reasonable expectation that they are
in their right to take actions granted by that license (modification,
redistribution).