+1 on everything Chris says here.

If anyone on the PMC is uncomfortable with making someone a committer
because of their uncommunicativeness, I'd be inclined to give it a little
more time.  A "no" now, doesn't mean a "no" forever.  Maybe ask that person
a few questions about their PR's on the list and see if they can be
encouraged to engage?  Maybe let the PMC member who's advocating for a
particular contributor be the one to take point on that effort?

Greets,
Myrle