Hi,

I'd like to address this specifically as I think it's a common issue
in many of our projects today.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:31 PM Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...One potential problem is the work flow using the github tools, which can
> have the effect
> of dialog "off-list" between the submitter and the other devs...

I agree with that - in a project where most of the action happens on
GitHub (*) it can be hard or impossible to follow the action by just
subscribing to the project's dev list.

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussions happening in
pull requests (PRs), that's the natural way of working in GitHub and
their tools are extremely convenient and efficient.

However I think we need to stick to the principle that someone who's
just reading the dev list isn't missing out on anything. It is what
puts part-time contributors on an equal footing with people who work
full time on our projects which is IMO a key aspect of the Apache Way.

So, how do we fix this? Blindly copying all GitHub PR comments to a
mailing list won't work IMO, as the result is not easy nor convenient
to follow. Copying is required for archival purposes (**) but not
practical for us humans IMO so I recommend copying to an "activity" or
"commits" list, distinct from the dev list.

One thing that I'd like to experiment in a podling (OpenWhisk) where I
see this problem is to send weekly news to the dev list, listing which
PRs are active, which modules are being actively worked on in
multi-module project, etc. so that people know where to look in
addition to the dev list.

Ideally automated, but additional human comment certainly helps as well.

I have mentioned that idea on the podling's dev list a while ago but
didn't get any traction...I might try this myself and will report here
if that happens. In the meantime, I'm interested in having other
opinions on this topic.

-Bertrand

(*) which is fine given our https://gitbox.apache.org/ tooling
(**) in case GitHub goes away - remember we are designing this
Foundation for the next 50 years