agreed with Sam

we can't claim that race, gender, etc, "are not relevant" when overwhelming
evidence to the contrary exists. which means we can't just state our ideals
(inclusive, equitable, etc) without *also* explaining why our committer
base does not reflect this

this is what I mean when I say I don't think that finding a replacement for
"meritocracy" is a good solution. because no matter what term we come up
with we have the same problem: our committer base won't reflect it

I think it would be much more interesting if as some sort of "core value"
we were committed to the ongoing evaluation of our shortcomings wrt
inclusion, equity, and so on, and doing something about them