On Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 08:01 Naomi Slater <n...@tumbolia.org> wrote:

On Sat 30. Mar 2019 at 07:02, Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org> wrote:

But, I'm sure
you'll have a good D&I initiative if you continue to marginalize people
like you did there; treat others as insignificant or peripheral.

"marginalize"

*Inigo Montoya voice* you keep using that word. I do not think it means
what you think it means

It is used to fit exactly the response I feel received. I feel like "so we
agree on finding ways to increase diversity are good and we lack it (thus
we have common ground), but since you don't agree this big list of negative
things that we haven't made clear exists, that sucks and is evil, is the
cause, that also makes Apache suck, then you're ignorant and part of this
horrible problem, so we don't value you"... is exactly marginalizing me, my
opinion, and others; treating them as insignificant; lots of feelings in
this; I expressed I see correlation not causation in what is said about
Apache and meritocracy as applied here.

Replace my opinion on the part I feel isn't clear with race or any other
physical or mental attribute for a mental experiment.

This also reenforces some of my internal concerns with this. That often
people are apt to overreact and overreach, and when it changes an
environment containing people and processes, it is more important to keep
that in mind.

What is this going to look and feel like (for the humans here)? How about a
wiki page enumerating something other than correlation from the data points
Apache has about Apache specifically? That would be helpful. I know I have
limited time to contribute to the projects I use, and I suspect others do
as well, and may help sell the points where people are not getting it.

Thanks

Wade