On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 13:44, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand the twisty maze of data sources that fuel
> projects.apache.org and either I'm confused, or there's some
> inconsistency in how this all fits together.
>
> I'll start with just one data source for now, so that I don't muddle
> multiple things together.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data/committees.xml
>

> This file has a list of rdf files which are supposed to be in the
> committees/ subdirectory. The file itself says:
>
>     This list should agree with the files in the directory committees/
>
> However, in addition to the entries that look like:
>
>    <location>committees/any23.rdf</location>
>
> there are also lines that look like:
>
>    <location>http://flex.apache.org/pmc_Flex.rdf</location>
>
> (4 of them, for whatever that's worth - flex, ofbiz, plc4x, and tez)
>
> Is that correct? Or is that not how the data is supposed to be stored?

Most PMC RDF files are stored locally, but the app does allow for
projects to store the files elsewhere.

> Meanwhile, committees.xml contains 209 projects:
>
> grep location committees.xml| grep -vc Retired
> 209
>
> while the committees/ directory contains just 206 rdf files:
>
> ls committees/*.rdf| wc -l
> 206
> (Note, one of those files is _template.rdf, so it's really 205, and 205
> + 4 = 209, so at least everything else matches up.)

Some PMCs have multiple projects.

There is a cron job that reports an error if there is a new PMC
without a corresponding RDF file.
I tend to create the the PMC RDF to silence the error.
However, it is up to the PMC to create the DOAP(s), so it's possible
that a PMC has no DOAPs.

I suspect that the PMC RDF files could be eliminated - I think the
only useful info they contain is the charter.
The charter is now also maintained in:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/committee-info.yaml

If any changes are made, I strongly recommend centralising the data files.
DOAP files maintained in project data areas often get moved, and the
project forgets to update the entry in projects.xml
Also, sometimes edits to DOAP files have syntax errors.
My experience is that it can be very hard work getting projects to fix
errors, whereas if DOAPs were centrally located, anyone could fix
errors.