Le vendredi 27 mars 2020 20:29:14 CET, vous avez écrit :
> On 3/27/20 3:07 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> > It's good to see some interest back on DOAP files content ad organisation,
> > now that the projects.apache.org rendering makes them really useful: a
> > few years ago, trying to open any discussion on that was deemed to
> > failure. But any change is hard, since every PMC will have to be
> > involved.
>
> What if we - and I'm perfectly prepared to be told "You can't do that
> because ..." - fetched remote (ie, project-hosted) doap files, a few at
> a time, and move them to the central repo, and as we do that, we go talk
> to projects individually, telling them that we're doing it, and why, and
> what the new process is for updating. Yes, I'm volunteering to do that
> outreach.
you can, but I don't see the benefit of this hard work

> That way, over time, we'd eventually have all of those files in one
> place, making them easier to find and update.
find = 2 files (1 for committees, 1 for projects)

> I'm leaving the file format question for someone else entirely. I am far
> less concerned about that, than about ensuring that the files are easily
> found and updated.
my point about "PMC RDF files" vs "projects DOAP files" is not a question of
format, but a question of amount of data and who would have real knowledge to
update content:
- PMC RDF files are very light, rarely updated, and contain data that are
really foundation-centric
- projects DOAP files contain a lot more data, can/should be often updated,
with data that are really to be delegated to PMCs given they are more technical
details on code

That's why I really think keeping centralised PMC RDF files and decentralised
projects DOAP files is a good idea.

IMHO, centralising project DOAP files would be a hard task with low benefit,
and even counter productive effect on having every PMC responsible for the
content, that is technical.

On letting PMC RDF files go outside the centralised approach, I'd be curious to
check if the 4 PMCs that chose to host outside of projects.a.o did that to fill
more data, or if they just felt that they'd host this file the same way they
did with project DOAP file.

Regards,

Hervé