On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 2:21 PM Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:

> I also talked to the Apache Security team today (there was an issue raised
> about the security of the images which I think should be part of the policy
> as well.

Thanks Jarek.  What happened is that we got a report to secur...@apache.org
about a docker container that when scanned showed a lot of "unfixed
vulnerabilities". I'm using quotes there because our usual response to
people sending us unfiltered reports from scanning tools is to reject them;
we get them quite often outside of containers and binary distributions, and
they very rarely are useful.  It's also fairly likely that the majority of
the reported issues in the container are completely irrelevant too.  For
example the list contained a CVE for a power9 gcc issue.  These scanners
are basically going to just report on all the things in the underlying base
image that are not updated, and even if you recreated images every day
you'd still have unfixed CVEs on the list.

Containers and other similar non-source distributions don't age well (a
colleague used to say they 'age like milk, not wine'), they'll collect more
and more of these layer vulnerabilities over time, and although most will
be irrelevant, there are going to be times when such a vulnerability does
actually matter, and we need to make sure projects producing them have a
process for tracking that either my monitoring (lots of effort) or by at
least frequent rebasing to keep them fresh.

That's all assuming projects are making good security decisions to start
with; basing on images that are maintained, in life, and updated, making
sure users know the state/freshness of them, making sure users realise
there will be vulns in the underlying layers and how to escalate reporting
vulns they find that actually are exposed to the project.  That should all
be part of some guidelines on images.

Cheers, Mark
ASF Security Team