I've spent an inordinate amount of time at $dayjob triaging security
vulnerabilities from Docker scans, so I can definitely attest to
Mark's experience there. In fact, one of the biggest offenders was the
official Docker Hub image for openjdk! Then there were a few years
where people pushed Alpine Linux in containers, but then maintenance
stopped related to that in openjdk, further leading to more outdated
images. Then there's the fairly broad lack of security awareness in
most published Docker images (e.g., running everything as root,
installing unnecessary dependencies, leaving behind private keys,
etc.) On the other hand, publishing updated images puts us back into
the problem of distributing non-AL software.

Note that you could be releasing a new image every day, yet that
doesn't fix the problem of outdated upstream layers, nor is it easily
fixable by adding an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y" step as
that breaches back into licensing complexity (Apache isn't a Linux
distribution after all!).

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>