On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 10:55 PM Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le dim. 27 févr. 2022 à 21:13, Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> a écrit :
> >

> > > Do any of the mentioned alternatives fulfill those requirements?
> > >

> > I think most - with very little investment on taking backup (same as we
> do
> > with ponymail today).
>
> It rather seems to me that tools targeted to synchronous
> communication are quite bad for asynchronous usage.
>

> > Two examples:
> >
> > * http://apache-airflow.slack-archives.org/ Apache Airflow public slack.
> > searchable and owned by us: Developed by one of our PMC members in his
> free
> > time. Solves "public", "owned", "searchable". With little effort can be
> > made offline-usable (it's a simple web app that loads the backup of slack
> > messages), It even looks nice. The only thing it lacks currently is
> support
> > for thread display.
> > * For Github discussion as I mentioned before it's just making sure you
> > subscribe to emails (same as current Ponymail backup).
>
> Assuming that I'm only subscribed to some project's "dev@" ML, how
> can I interact with either of those solutions?

You can't really. But at least the ML gets all the traffic (so it is
solving 1/2 of the problem).

> > I think it's not a matter of "limitation" of certain media, bit more a
> > question of a little "investment" into some popular solutions to make
> them
> > fulfill the requirements we have and a way that INFRA provides
> instructions
> > and possible some little infrastructure and possibly "verification" for
> > those popular media used by different PMC. Same as currently providing
> > support for Ponymail (which is essentially a 3rd-party tool as well),
> > It is more effort to support more solutions - yes, but INFRA can also tap
> > into support of the PMCs that want to use different tools to help with
> > making the effort to make it "blessed".
>
> I still fail to understand the reason for looking for alternatives to
> MLs for managing ASF projects...

Honestly -- I don't think we have a choice. At least I don't that we have
when it comes to users. Those will engage with us in whatever manner
they seem to perceive as most natural and it seems that in 2022 email
is definitely not the first thing that comes to the users' mind.

So... the choice we have to make is to -- either meet our users where
they seem to be looking for us (or at least half-way) OR agree that
we will be forever cut off from quite a number of them.

Thanks,
Roman.