I'm reading this discussion from the beginning (thanks to ML). I can be
mistaken but there are two issues:

1. A community communication channel. A place where users can interact,
discuss and seek help. This should be a place for users and the community
should use whatever serves best.
2. Decision making channel. In this case we seek for an ability to archive
and search (dev@ mailing list) but we also seek engagement from wider
community (not offered by dev@ list).

In case of 1 we have poor chance to unify things (for example Slack vs
WeChat). In case of 2 we can take advantage of the fact that every project
now is on Github. For example what Apache Superset is doing looks
impressive: https://github.com/apache/superset/projects/7 They still do the
voting on mailing list
https://lists.apache.org/thread/t2yc69rm60o7mlrp114r9rmdm96k7cwg but we may
consider using some bots for handling this integration (possibly in both
directions).

Issues and discussions can be deleted. In this case we can consider using
pull requests that support the same (or at least similar) threading
functionality as issues/discussions. We have nice tool for tracking
changes, reviewing and suggesting. This is more similar to what Kubernetes
is doing for theirs "enchantment proposals":
https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/1353.

This is just idea but Github is common to every project. It's something we
all have, so why not start there?
In fact maybe we can take some lessons from "newer" communities like CNCF
projects that are no longer ML centric?

Bests,
Tomek