Another chat solution to consider is Zulip [0]. Zulip's UI encourages
all chat messages to go under an appropriate thread which makes it a
bit easier to use for asynchronous communication. I think one of the
difficult aspects of using something like Slack or IRC for development
is a lack of nice threading which makes them more of a synchronous
communication tool rather than an asynchronous one. Using threads in
Zulip, it becomes a lot easier to navigate the chat without having to
read several days of chatter to find the topic you were looking for.

For what it's worth, I'm at that age near the line between people who
are used to using email and people who are used to using instant
messaging and group chats. I believe that a lack of good threading in
chat UIs is what tends to lead to the "always online" requirement to
keeping up with the chat, though most chat apps support threading at
this point, so I could be wrong.

Another issue with people and mailing lists these days are those who
don't know or care to tame their inbox. There's a reason why
smartphone notifications are used for marketing and such these days;
many people's inboxes are bursting with tens of thousands of unread
messages. It's been the double edged sword of simple and open
protocols: ease of abuse.

[0]: https://zulip.com