> Will someone be granted commit access, and become PMC
> member without providing an email address?

Why not if the mailing list is not mandatory? But I think it's not a matter
of
"having" a mailing address. It's more about subscribing and actively
discussing
using the devlist. Those two are completely different and not
really related IMHO.

> Not everyone interested in the development of FLOSS is willing
> (or having the time) to become a community manager in every
> new channel that pops up.

But there is no such need. It's enough that (when the community agrees on
a channel) - all people from that community will know and use it. And they
are
already on this channel (see below).

Should we have to jump through (other) no less arbitrary hoops
> instead?

By all means yes. If the community decides, some people in the community
will have to jump through some hoops (possibly). But more often than not
those will be either very small hoops (the UI, ease of use for many of the
solutions, lack of friction had greatly improved over the last 20 years)
or everyone has done it already.

In the case of Airflow (if we talk about switching to Github Discussions)
what we are talking about is ~ 1900 people having to subscribe to the
devlist and learn to use it vs. exactly 0 (!) people having to subscribe to
the
GH issues/discussions and learning to use it (we all already do it daily
anyway - it is just not "blessed" as the "official channel").

Looks like no brainer.