I definitely think we'd get more done if we didn't have such a long
code-freeze. I'm not sure this is the same as what you were suggesting, but
have a script/tool to branch all of the platforms into an rc branch. Then,
each platform can fix themselves up a bit and tag their RC. Meanwhile, dev
can continue to happen on edge.

My main concern with our current approach is just that the code-freeze time
is super long.