Hi all,

I'd like to pick your brain around the feasibility of plugins existing as
static or dynamic libraries.

I had this idea a few years ago, when we first started discussing plugins.
At the time, it was
possible on BlackBerry and, with some work, possible on Android and iOS.
However, a lot
has changed in the last few years, so I'd like to revisit the topic.

Overview:

- A plugin developer would compile their plugin as a static or dynamic
library.
- A plugin developer would publish their plugin as the library.
- An app developer would install the static or dynamic library.

Benefits:

- The plugin is only compiled by the author who distributes it.
    - For complex plugins, this may help avoid compile-time errors around
dependencies.
- The plugin may be able to bundle some of its assets, simplifying the
installation process.
- Can be an alternative (not replacement) to distributing plugins as
source-code.

Questions:

- For each platform, how feasible is this?
- What problems (or other benefits) would exist with plugins as libraries?

Thanks!
Michael