On Jun 12, 2013, at 6:10 PM, Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with this approach is that we shouldn't rely on just
> mobile-spec for our testing...
>
> The fact is that on Android, if you're doing changes to the core, you
> should be running the JUnit tests included with the project...

Sounds good. So how about the following:

- the developer (contributor or committer) is responsible to test their own
code and correct any problems before a pull request is submitted (contributor
authored) or it lands in the stream (committer authored). The testing includes
both verifying the function they added/touched, plus running the test suites to
verify there are no regressions.
- When we say "run the test suites" this includes the automated tests in
mobile-spec, the manual tests in mobile-spec and any platform-specific unit
tests (i.e., cordova-android/test, cordova-ios/CordovaLibTests, etc.)
- if a pull request, the committer should sanity check the contributor's code.
This should include at least a simple visual inspection.
- if a pull request, the committer should see that the contributor tested it. A
simple comment in Jira should suffice, similar to how Mike and Lisa worked as
contributors here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-3521

If there is consensus, I can add the above verbage to the wiki.

Do we want to go as far as the following?

- every new function and defect fix should include an automated test (where
reasonably feasible) that lands in a test suite at the same time as the new
function / fix.