On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Martin Gonzalez <
martin.c.glez.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been discussing here in IBM, about add a flag to the CLI to pull the
> tests from the plugin, add them to each platform, prepare, build and
> deploy.
> It would be something like 'cordova run/emulate [platform] --tests'
> The workflow has been discussed and I think that are great ideas.
> Proposal:
> - 'cordova plugin add' it would remain as is.
> -Add the tests to the master branch, and those would be added to the
> project.
> -The plugin framework may be installed manually or can be part of the
> 'cordova run/emulate --tests' workflow.
>
> Workflow:
> - 'cordova prepare' has to change, only if the --tests flag is present it
> would copy the test files.
> - 'cordova build' it would save a copy of config.xml or modify the file to
> replace the content tag: '<content src="index.html" />' by <content
> src="cdvtests/index.html" />, as well as modify plugin.xml of each
> installed plugin to add this tag: '<js-module src="test/tests.js"
> name="tests"></js-module>'
> Options with this one: create a backup of config.xml, modify the file
> adding/replacing the information, save the previous values from the files
> or restore the default config.xml content tag to index.html, it might be
> possible however, not always index.html is the default file in a project.
>
> This behavior it would work only in a temporal way, the idea is not corrupt
> the project at all, meaning that this workflow it will be followed if the
> --tests flag is present in the CLI, it would prepare, build, deploy/emulate
> and at the end it should restore to the previous configuration, meaning
> that config.xml should be restored, as well as each plugin.xml file of each
> installed plugin.
>
> In order to work on this, decisions are required. We have to define how
> it's gonna be:
>
> -The tests on each plugin, where are going to live? on master or cdvtest
> (This branch it may became outdated as Jesse mentioned), I can't find any
> reason to not add them to master.

Definitely. cdvtest was never meant to be more than temporary.

> -Backup the plugin.xml and config.xml and then restore them or modify them
> and undo the modifications after run/emulate the app? any thoughts?

We can add logic to the tools to do what you want, but we should *not* be
modifying any files on disk to accomplish it.
Config.xml is easy to modify in a one-off since it's a generated file
within platforms/ and is generated on each prepare.
Test files are not though, and to have them not stick around after the
--test run would be pretty tricky to implement robustly.
I think the pitched idea where each plugin repo has a second plugin within
it that contains the tests would be more robust and easier to reason about.
E.g. if you want to add a --test flag to CLI, then have the logic be: for
each installed plugin ID, install $PLUGIN_ID.test (or something along those
lines)
Really, as long as the createmobilespec.js knows to install the test
plugins, I think that would be fine.